Sunday, September 2, 2012

Olivia Birthday Party

I recently got to throw a birthday party for a friends little girl who was turning 1.  It was a lot of fun, because honestly I just don't get to do enough little girl birthday parties.  We decided on an Olivia party.  We wanted to keep it pretty low key but still have some cute stuff, so here is what I came up with.
I took some Hello Kitty party hats that I had bought last year second hand at a thrift store, and we took them apart and recovered them in red paper and then cut slits in the sides to add precious little pig ears.  Then we taped them all back together.
The cupcakes were red velvet with cream cheese frosting.  They have these really nice cupcake liners at Walmart that are foil lined on the inside so that the pattern on the outside doesn't fade when they are baked.  I got some circle labels and printed them out using the Avery online software and an image of Olivia that was online.  Then I stuck them onto black and white card-stock that I cut out with the cricut, and put those on top of candy sticks with a red bow.  Super easy.
I made sugar cookie dough, and cut out circles with fondant cutters, smaller circles that I quartered to make the ears, and even smaller circles for the nose.  I saw someone else do this with bread dough, and they didn't have cookie or fondant cutters but used a kitchen glass, and bottle cap to get their smaller circles.  The nose slits are chocolate sprinkles.
We had some yummy berry Oreos, and white chocolate dipped strawberries.  Some of the strawberries also had red sprinkles.
All of the food was either red, black, and white, or pig themed.  There were "pigs in a blanket," and pizza bagel bites. The party was in the afternoon after lunch and before dinner, so we were going for snackage rather than a meal.
I think our birthday girl was pretty excited about her first cake!
Over all it was a pretty great party.  I'm glad that I was able to do an extra girly party this year.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! I have always wanted to learn how to bake such cute cupcakes. My sister makes really good cakes and cupcakes but she lives way to far. It is my niece’s birthday next month and I will be meeting her. Can you share the recipe? Because I would love to surprise her with this. I am also very excited to see the event space Atlanta she has booked, heard a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete